North East Cell
India's Northeast comprises eight states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland Tripura and Sikkim. It is connected to the rest of the country by a 'chicken neck'-like, narrow corridor between Bhutan and Bangladesh. It is a land of great ethnic diversity: more different tribes live here on a comparatively small area than anywhere else in Asia.
Political aspirations of the people forced the creation of separate states. Between 1960 and 1987 Nagaland, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Arunachal divided from Assam. Main tribal groups which include Garos and Khasis of Meghalaya, Kukis of Manipur, Lushais of Tripura, Angami, Ao and Phom of Nagaland, and Lepchas of Sikkim speak countless unique Tibeto-burmese languages. Bengali, Assamese and Manipuri, Mizo and English too are spoken. Agriculture is the main occupation with wide spread tea estates and rice fields.
Constitution of North East (NE) Cell
Keeping in mind the objectives enumerated herein below and to address the issues relating to children in a more effectively and efficiently NE Cell was created in the Commission on 1.12.2011 for the promotion and protection of child rights in all the 8 States of North East. The cell was functional with full staff strength till December 2012.
- To Monitor the Constitutionally guaranteed fundamental right of all children for access to free and compulsory education under Right to Education (RTE) Act, 2009;
- To Monitor steps taken for elimination of child labour;
- To Monitor measures taken by the State Govts concerned and other stake holders for prevention of trafficking of children from North East to other States.
- To Prevent/minimize incidence of substance abuse in children and setup an exclusive (for children) DDT Centre;
- To Monitor promotion and protection of rights of all children who are infected/affected by HIV/AIDs;
- To monitor the status of “Health Care and Nutrition” policies and practices for children within States.
- To Monitor rescue/release/repatriation of the trafficked children and facilitation of their rehabilitation through education, nutrition, health care and life-skill training etc;
- Facilitating Grievance Redressal Mechanism (GRMs) in coordination with State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCRs) and REPAs (wherever available).
- Leveraging GR Matrix at District, Block, Panchayat /Mandal level.
- Conducting one Public Hearing on “Substance Abuse”, “RTE” and “Child Trafficking” in Guwahati and Nagaland.
- Advocating Joint Review Mission and Inter Convergence Meeting with various Ministries & Depts. viz. Labour, WCD, DONER, Social Justice and Empowerment, Health and Family Welfare etc.
- Implementation of North East Action Plan prepared by NE Cell of National Commission for Protection of child Rights(NCPCR).
- Establishment of North Eastern Hub of NCPCR to work in close coordination with SCPCRs of NE and DONER.
- Facilitating creation of (SCPCRs) wherever not available in NE states viz. Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura, Manipur and Mizoram.
- Facilitating creation of Shelter Homes, Special Homes and Observation Homes.